Green Screen & Compositing

Green Screen & Compositing 

Our VFX Teacher had instructed us to film inside the Green Screen room to have a go at compositing ourselves (filmed on a green screen) into random stock footage.

Compositing is where you combine live action footage with stock footage or Computer Generated Imagery.

We had a go of this last week but, we did it the second time, today, as an assessment of what we learned from last week. I'll show off the footage from last week and the feedback I've received but, I'll explain how I did everything for the 2nd shoot in detail though;

Self Assessment

Peer Review

The feedback I've received was positive and I wasn't expecting that but, I appreciate it.

Moving on to attempt 2, it went really well for me. Our VFX teacher didn't help us much this time round, as he wanted to test our knowledge on what we've learnt so far. But, he did provide us with two stock footages. However I wanted to choose one of my own. I chose this stock footage from the website, Pexels.com:


After choosing my stock footage, I went into the green screen room. Before hitting the record button on the camera, there were two studio lights. To make colour correction in post, a bit easier, I've changed the colour of them to a white-ish colour, as the stock footage was too. Then I hit record and shoot my scene;


Then, I move the footage to the computer and start using Adobe After Effects. Opening up After Effect > Composition > new composition. A menu will pop up next; 

Leave the preset as it is but change the frame rate to 24fps. Then, hit OK. Once you've setup your composition, drag the stock footage to the timeline. This is what you should see when you do that;


Because the stock footage's resolution was at 4K, I've scaled it down so that the stock footage was in frame. 

I then, dragged the green screen footage to the menu to the left;



And drag it to the timeline, make sure to place it on top of your stock footage (in the timeline). It should look something like this;


Next, you want to key yourself out of the green screen, and put yourself into the stock footage. To do this, go into the "Effects & Presets" menu on the left of the workspace & search for "keylight". You should be able to find "Keylight (1.2)", it and place it on top of your green screen footage. 

Once that's done, select the "Pen tool" at the top of the screen, and key yourself out by placing in markers around the subject, in that case, it was me. 


I then remove the green screen background by selecting the "eye dropper" tool, next to the "Screen Colour" section. Then I eyedrop the darkest shade of green I can find in the shot and the 90% of the background should be removed.



You can use the "Clip Black" slider to remove the shadows that the eyedropper may have missed, but don't use it too much as it can destroy the green screen footage. I then scaled the green screen footage down, and placed it at the bottom left corner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sculpting in Blender

TARDIS Compositing Project

Chase Yourself Project