Painting Image References

 



Our Art teacher showed us how to paint objects using reference images. Firstly, I sculpted the skull using a hard round pressure brush. By doing this, I draw (& block) the overall shape of the skull. This is what it would look like; 

I did have the option to trace the base skull on top of the reference but, I wanted to challenge myself and draw it without tracing it instead. 

Mid Shadow

Once I've got the basic shape of the skull done, it was now time to do the mid-shadow. Mid-shadow is where the some of the lighter areas of the shadow are casted onto the skull. To do this in Photoshop, I've hit Ctrl + Alt + G to create a clipping mask. This is to ensure whatever I draw on the skull base, doesn't go over the outline of it. 



Dark Shadow

After the mid-shadow tone has been made, a Dark Shadow layer had to be made & implemented. Dark Shadow is where the shadowed areas of the skull (or any object) get darker. For that, a different coloured brush was used. The dark shadow areas can be used with the brush being completely black, however, there wouldn't add some depth. So, instead, the Dark Shadow layer was done using the brush being coloured in a "similar-ish" black colour but with a slight maroon tint. The Hex Code for this is: 0e0603. This can add some depth to the drawing, especially when blending the layers together. 


This is my attempt of where the darker shadows would be in the skull, it's not the best but, it'll do for now.

Highlights

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sculpting in Blender

TARDIS Compositing Project

Chase Yourself Project